Fude Pen Review: Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen - Twin Tip - Gray & Black Ink

In the not terribly distant past, I bought a BUNCH of pens from Jetpens, and proceeded to work my way through reviewing all of them.  Of course, this takes time, and brain power, and when several items are very similar, I can get sorta burnt out.  I try to space my reviews out so I can dedicate plenty of processing power to each pen I review, and sometimes that means a pen gets neglected for a really long time.

This pen was not one of the pens kindly provided by Jetpens to review, but one I purchased using money earned selling at conventions.  If you like this blog, and enjoy the reviews, you can always help out by donating, purchasing something from my shop, and of course, spreading the word.  Especially helpful would be emails to Jetpens to let them know how much you enjoy my blog, any posts you particularly enjoy, and perhaps any items I've helped you decide upon.  At the time of writing, the blog is entirely paying-ad free, and I'd like to keep it that way.  (Editor's Note:  I've since added small ads between posts to help cover the costs of purchasing new art supplies from a variety of sources for the purposes of review, but the ads don't even contribute a single penny a day, so your emails and donations would be very appreciated.)

Today I'm reviewing the Tombow Fudenosuke Brush Pen.  It's a twin tipped brush pen that features two small fude style nibs in a gray ink and a black ink.  I've reviewed a few brushes like this in the past, such as the Pilot Futayaku.  I've also reviewed Tombow products in the past, like the Tombow Dual Brush.  My experiences with Tombow haven't always been stellar, so honestly the bar was set pretty low for the Tombow Fudenosuke Brush pen.

The Packaging


The package has a whole lot of information going on.  I can't really read any of it, but you an tell from the package that it's made by Tombow, that it's got twin tips, and that one tip is black and the other is gray.





It seems like there's all sorts of useful information on the back of the package, it's a real shame I can't read any of it!  If you can, and you're feeling generous, feel free to translate it in the comments, and I'll add it to this post, giving you credit!

The Pen Itself

I've come to assume this is the standard look for double sided pens.  The 'main' side has the end with the paper clip, the secondary end has a lighter cap and no clip.  While the clip helps keep the pen from rolling WHILE CAPPED, if you don't cap the pen or post the cap, it's going to roll all over the place.




The black cap signifies the black nib, the gray translucent lid of course signifies the gray nib.


Something kinda neat about this pen is that the black end has a translucent barrel.



The caps post to one another, which is handy as it keeps the cap from rolling away, but a little unwieldy and insecure.

 
 The Field Test

My previous experiences with Tombow pens always left a little something to be desired, so I didn't have high hopes for the Fudenosuke.



I went ahead and used a toning technique I've used in the past- apply the shadows first, then tighten up with the black ink.  I think this is a really fun technique, and I tend to like my inks a lot better afterwards too.





The Fudenosuke ended up surprising me regarding it's performance.  Both fude nibs were responsive and flexible, the Fudenosuke is a fun pen to ink with.  The gray is a great shade- not too light, but not so dark that it visually competes with the black.  Since you're getting two pens in one, the $4.25 price tag isn't too steep, especially if you're only looking to dabble in using a fude pen for your work.

Comments